San Angelo ISD celebrates the District Communications Team which was honored with fourteen state awards at the 2023 Texas School Public Relations Association (TSPRA) Conference. The award-winning Communications Team includes Jack Wilcox, Communications Specialist; Alba Banuelos, Receptionist; and Molly Johnson Turk, Executive Director of Communications. Together, the team received two Best of Category, three Crystal Certificates of Merit, seven Gold Star Awards and two Silver Star Awards. The awards honored work from the previous school year, and were announced at TSPRA’s 61st annual Star Awards Celebration held on Wednesday, February 22, 2023 in Fort Worth, Texas.
“Our District Communications team continues to excel in telling the story of our remarkable students and staff and their many achievements that positively impact our community,” said Superintendent of San Angelo ISD Dr. Carl Dethloff. “The Communications team serves as a catalyst to promote our public schools and honor the voice of our community.”
TSPRA’s annual Star Awards recognize outstanding communicators in school districts for their work in the areas of print, electronic, and visual communications. Awards are given in 47 main categories covering various media such as newsletters, programs, posters, writing, photography, video, websites, and more. Bronze, Silver, and Gold Stars are awarded in each category and judges review their highest scoring Gold Star winners to select a Best of Category winner in each category. Larger, more comprehensive projects are entered in one of ten Crystal Commendation categories.
The SAISD Communications Team was honored with the following awards:
- Best of Category for Lone Star Middle School Logo and Identity Package
- Best of Category for Military Family Homecoming Photo Other Subjects
- Crystal Commendation Certificate of Merit for San Angelo ISD Photography Portfolio
- Crystal Commendation Certificate of Merit for San Angelo ISD Our People Make The Difference - Staff Recognition Portfolio
- Crystal Commendation Certificate of Merit for San Angelo READS! Literacy Initiative - Building Meaningful Community Partnerships through Reading
- Gold Star Award for Career and Technical Education (CTE) Flyer
- Gold Star Award for Lone Star Middle School Logo
- Gold Star Award for Military Family Homecoming Video - General Event
- Gold Star Award for Young Adults Grow Valuable Skills in SAISD 18+ Vocational Program Video - Feature Story
- Gold Star Award for Celebrating All the Ways Students are Smart Video - Promotional
- Gold Star Award for Military Family Homecoming Photo Other Subjects
- Gold Star Award for Lone Star Middle School Logo and Identity Package
- Silver Star Award for A Bright Future Photo Other Subjects
- Silver Star Award for Military Parent and Child Photo Other Subjects
The Communications Team would also like to recognize the tremendous efforts of former team member Whitney Watson Wood, who served as Executive Director of Communications until December 2022. “Mrs. Wood played an integral role in the success of the Communications team during her time at San Angelo ISD,” said Executive Director of Communications Molly Johnson Turk. “Her talents assisted in celebrating the successes of our students and staff, and creating positive connections and partnerships with our students, staff, and community. These Star Award recognitions could not be honored without noting the extensive part she played in creating communications that celebrate all the ways SAISD produces future-ready graduates.”
The Communications Team serves as a connection between the school district and our community, facilitating effective communications between school staff, administrators, the Board of Trustees, students, parents and community members. They support district initiatives and community engagement through management and coordination of communications.
To stay up-to-date on San Angelo ISD and see more work by the Communications Team that celebrates all the ways our students are smart and the impactful work of our SAISD Difference Makers, please visit the SAISD website at www.saisd.org and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. SAISD videos like the award-winning ones above, may also be viewed on our official SAISD YouTube channel and our San Angelo READS! YouTube channel.
TSPRA is a non-profit, professional organization dedicated to promoting public schools through effective communications. With more than 1,000 members, TSPRA is comprised primarily of public information and communications professionals who serve Texas public school districts and education associations, foundations and organizations. TSPRA provides professional development, resources and networking opportunities for our members and others in the education community.