SAISD Middle School Dress Code Policy
- All shirts/blouses/dresses will be at least three fingers wide on the shoulder. Low-cut, suggestive, see-through, or revealing clothing, including bare midriffs, are not acceptable.
- Shirts/blouses/sweaters/sweatshirts will be sized appropriately.
- Pants/shorts/skorts may not be more than one waist size larger than the actual waist size of the student.
- Shorts/skirts/skorts/dresses will be no shorter than extended fingertips.
- No spaghetti straps, tank tops or visible under clothing will be permitted. Low-cut, suggestive, see-through, or revealing clothing is not acceptable.
- Sagging is not allowed. Pants must be worn no lower than the point of the hip.
- No pajama bottoms are to be worn.
- Appropriate shoes/boots are to be worn at all times. No house slippers may be worn.
- Skintight attire is not acceptable. This includes bike shorts and spandex.
- Students may not wear unusual costumes that attract attention and detract from the learning atmosphere.
- Clothing with vulgar or indecent slogans, pictures that show violence or drug-related characters, or alcoholic beverage or tobacco advertisements will not be permitted.
- Any attire related to negative group behavior (gangs, etc.) will not be permitted.
- Sunglasses may not be worn in the building.
- Chains are not allowed.
- All forms of headgear (hats, caps, headbands, bandanas, etc.) are not acceptable. Such items will be confiscated. Students may keep a cap in their athletic/band/PE locker for sun protection during outside activities.
- Visible body piercing shall be limited to ear piercing, nose and tongue studs. All other visible piercings, including retainers, are prohibited.
- Overalls must fit and be fastened appropriately.
- Students’ hair will be clean and well-groomed at all times and shall not obstruct vision.
- Any other attire or grooming that is perceived by the administration, as being detrimental to the education process will not be allowed.
- Tattoos that are allowed to be visible will be at the discretion of the campus administrator.
- Tattoos that are considered to be gang related, vulgar or offensive will not be permitted to be visible.
- Holes and/or shredding on jeans, pants, etc. are not permitted above the skirts or shorts length guideline.
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student may be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, until the problem is corrected, or until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school. Repeated offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.